Friday, August 27, 2010

Faith Like a Mustard Seed

a mustard seed
In the gospels were constantly told about having faith like a mustard seed and how the kingdom of God is like a mustard seed. I’ve always thought that this is such a great parable but never quite grasped the real picture Jesus was trying to get at. So I googled some pictures. Matthew 13:31-32 says “He told them another parable: "The kingdom of heaven is like a mustard seed, which a man took and planted in his field. Though it is the smallest of all your seeds, yet when it grows, it is the largest of garden plants and becomes a tree, so that the birds of the air come and perch in its branches."
a mustard tree
Another one is Luke 17:5-6 “The apostles said to the Lord, "Increase our faith!" He replied, "If you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mulberry tree, 'Be uprooted and planted in the sea,' and it will obey you.”
So often we read so many books, listen to so many people tell us how to grow our faith or how to experience the kingdom of God on earth. The kingdom of God is here, it is on earth. It exists in the hearts of those who love God with all they have. It’s in the smallest of things that we see the largest manifestation of the kingdom. I’m not saying that reading Jesus books are bad, (that’s pretty much the only type of book I read) Instead of trying to figure out how to grow your faith, thinking that you may need to get your life “together” before you can dig deeper into God. Just stop now and take Christ at His word. Have some faith, any faith. All it takes is small faith that God will come through and once He does, your faith will grow. Plus you never have to have your life together or better yourself before you come to Christ, He meets you as you are but beware, you will never leave changed. And if you want to have everything together before you meet Him, chances are He will change it for the better. He loves you more than you will ever imagine, just have faith in the one who created you and love all.

6 comments:

  1. This is great I just looking up info for a possible sermon when I found this. How true it is. I think the it is amazing what great things come out of something so small.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was looking for a Mustard Tree to see how large it grows. I Google and found this, I thank God for the insight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. when my 31 yo son became ill with cancer, i imagined i held a mustard seed in the palm of my hand to remind me to have hope, never to give up . i carried that imvisable mustard seed for two weeks, night and day and whenever i despaired I'd open my hand and it was af if i could see it sitting there. My son died after those 2 weeks, but still i carry that seed, It gives me hope that my son is safely with god now and gives me the strength i need to get through every day without him

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your faith!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This parable only makes me feel ashamed . We dont even have faith as small as a Mustard seed . Jesus knows how little our faith is , thats why he compares it to a mustard seed

      Delete
  5. little faith will grow when u believe!

    ReplyDelete